Leeds City Council are holding Easter Holidays consultation
A message from Leeds City Council
Leeds City Council is seeking views on the timing of the Easter school holidays for the next few years. This will be our third consultation on the fixed Easter school holiday arrangement – we originally consulted in 2009, and then again in 2013. On both occasions the public view was clearly in favour of having a fixed Easter break. Since 2011, Leeds has fixed its school break to the first two weeks of April, regardless of when the Easter bank holiday weekend falls. Usually the bank holidays fall somewhere within this break, but once every few years they fall outside. We are now seeking public opinion in order to decide whether to continue with this arrangement or return to an Easter school holiday that moves according to the Easter bank holiday weekend.
Not all schools have to abide by the dates the council sets. Academies, free schools, foundation schools and voluntary-aided schools have the authority to set their own dates and can continue to do so regardless of any change the council makes as a result of this consultation.
We are really keen to obtain as many responses as possible to determine whether there is a collective wish to keep the fixed Easter school holiday, so please could we ask you to:
– publicise the consultation to parents/carers over the next few weeks via any school newsletters or correspondence
– circulate the attached survey via pupil-post if appropriate for your school
– display the poster and/or make paper copies of the consultation available in your school reception area for parents/carers/visitors to take away (could you please return completed forms via the Schools Envopac, or alternatively post to Children & Families PO Box 837, Children & Families Leadership Support, Leeds City Council LS1 9PZ)
– share with your school staff and encourage them to respond
– promote pupil discussion through School Councils if relevant
– complete the survey yourself as the Headteacher
The consultation will run until Friday 8th June 2018.
The link to the online survey on the council website is www.leeds.gov.uk/easterholidayconsultation Please find attached a poster and a printable version for display and circulation.