Vision and Values
At Oakwood we encourage everyone to ‘be the best that they can be’ within a safe environment where education can prepare all children to be ready for life.
Oakwood Primary Academy will:
- Nurture all children in a safe and stimulating environment
- Provide for them a style of education that inspires the will to learn
- Prepare them for making wise choices throughout their lives
- Enable them to face their lives with courage and compassion
We believe that:
- Each human being is special, gifted, unique.
- We should value others for what they are – not just for what they do.
- We should balance high self-esteem with respect for others.
- Good relationships are fundamental for both our own individual good and for the good of the community as a whole.
We will provide:
- Structured learning that provides children with a wide range of skills.
- A wide-ranging rich curriculum.
- Frequent opportunities for all children to express themselves creatively.
- Encouragement to communicate well and listen to others.
We will enable all children to:
- Value the beauty of the natural world.
- To wonder at the mystery of life and its possible origins.
- To feel the need to distinguish between good and bad, right and wrong.
- To see how they can promote their own health and well-being.
- To be ready for their wider role as citizens
At Oakwood we have taken some of the core Co-op values to devise a value based system called ‘ROOTS’. The children learn about Responsibility, Openness, Optimism, how to be Trustworthy and the importance of Solidarity. This is done through explicit teaching of the language of values, assemblies that teach how to live the values and reward systems that celebrate children who show strong ROOTS.